Saturday, December 24, 2011

A bass called (Christmas) Eve

Today's 55+ sunny December weather in the Tulsa area would qualify as a nice summer day in the Seattle area. I brought the 6-weight flyrod and some flies on our Texas-Oklahoma holiday journey, and suspected the fish might be active this afternoon.

Finally, on Christmas Eve, I caught two black bass in a pond just outside Tulsa in my hometown of Broken Arrow.

I used a Prince Nymph to help sink a trailing white Wooly Bugger. With the setting sun at my back, I stood beneath a tree at a headwater and cast into open waters. I caught a two-pound largemouth, and then a one-pound black on the very next cast.



Then nothing. But I was happy.

We left Seattle on Saturday, Dec. 17. On Sunday I fished Galveston Bay just north of Galveston. I threw Klausers and saw some small, silver and white fish but didn't get a bite. The little fish (a couple of pounds) were rolling over on the surface near the Houston Yacht Club. I'm told redfish come into the Bay.

On Wed., Dec. 21, I fished Town Lake in Austin. Town Lake, which is actually the Colorado River, has been renamed Lady Bird Lake. I did no advance research. I did observe a few gear fishermen, and saw what seemed to be some swirls out in the middle of the river/lake but didn't seem to get any bites.

Both Galveston Bay and Town Lake were beautiful settings, but they amounted to little more than casting practice.

Yesterday in Tulsa I had fished a smaller pond outside our family home, but did not use the nymph-wooly bugger combo. I also believe that I was stripping-in the line faster than necessary. Today I seemed to find the perfect combo of flies and stripping pace.

I texted some photos to my dad during the brief fishing trip. He's recovering from colon cancer surgery and so it was more than satisfying to catch fish and have a nice Christmas Eve exchange with my dad.

Today is my final day in the South, and I may walk down the Arkansas River to try my hand. Growing up in the area, I never heard of the Arkansas being very productive (even during the summer). But, hey, if it's warm and sunny on Christmas Day why not? Merry Angling Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment