Monday, May 28, 2012

Silver and Cedar

I fished all three days of this Memorial Day weekend, darting between my son's baseball games and three new fisheries. 

I was skunked at Kayak Point near Marysville on the Puget Sound. I went looking for searun cutts and searun bull trout.  I saw some dimples on the surface and even had a small fish take my popper, but no bites and no fish. The day was warm and so swimmers and boaters basically ruined the opportunity. Note to beach people. If you see a guy fishing please throw your rocks in some other direction.

My two other fishing opportunities were more productive and more enjoyable.

Silver Lake is located in Everett, Washington. It is nestled into a neighborhood and has recently been stocked with triploid rainbow trout. I saw one of the big ones jump. I didn't get into any trout, but I did catch my first crappie (I think it's a white crappie) on a fly. Below you can see an area of water I fished and below that the little crappie I took on just my second cast with a Hare's Ear/Copper John nymph combo. He took the trailing Hare's Ear.




I also fished a section of the Cedar River near Landsburg. I hiked a nice trail for about a half hour and climbed down the riverbank to a section where the 800 cfs water pooled nicely near some fallen trees. The water looked perfect for holding trout away from the rushing current to my left. I precariously climbed over tree branches and hugged the bank until I got good footing and could cast about 40 feet into the pool, which made a small cove partially covered by brush. I half expected to find one of the reported 12-13 inch rainbows in this secluded area.

I started off with a March Brown but switched to the trusty Hare's Ear. I had felt a few nibbles and then finally was rewarded with a hard strike from a small but beautiful cutthroat.

The photos below show the Hare's Ear and the stretch of water I fished.  The final photo is taken underwater. Notice the prominent cutthroat coloring below the jaw.




No comments:

Post a Comment