Monday, September 3, 2012

A Sunny September Sunday

Thomas sat on a VW-sized boulder in the late afternoon sun, and told me the "king of the pool" was right behind yonder rock.

Having bushwacked through a fast-descending mountainside trail and crossed the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie, I was eager to fish. I barely heard his practiced advice as I started casting to a seam in the middle of the river, which this time of year is a very pleasant 200 cfs. Temperatures were in the mid-70s around 3:30 pm with light winds.

I quickly caught plenty of 8- and 10-inch cuttthroat and rainbows.  Thomas had brought us to a series of very nice pools.

To use an over-used phrase, the water was gin clear and trout were rising nicely to dry flies.  Nothing better.

Thomas (below) had lent me his 3-wt trout rod and he was using his brand new bamboo rod, which has quite a provenance (perhaops another time).


 
 After awhile, I started eying the same spot Thomas had seen immediately upon arrival. His words came back to me, and I cast over the top of currents moving at different speeds and my fly landed just behind a large rock with a nice pool behind it. I didn't quite like the location or the presentation so I cast again.

From the depths darted a good-sized trout like a shark in some Hollywood film. He snatched the fly and dove down behind the rock. I set the hook and watched with great excitement as the largest rainbow I've ever pulled out of the Snoqualmie dove, jumped, banked right and left and ultimately landed in my net (see below).

 

 
I can't even count the number of fish we caught during 4 very active hours on the water. I got my share of small and medium sized cutts and bows. I learned a lot from Thomas and am very appreciative. Hopefully we can do it again another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment