Sunday, November 25, 2012

November Rezzie

I've been reading good flyfishing books more than actually flyfishing these days. Zane Grey's Tales of Fishes and the final chapters of Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders by John Gierach have given me hours of great pleasure. I learn something new with each story.

Today I drove south to Purdy Spit near Gig Harbor for a day of chasing resident Coho and searun cutthroat trout. Despite morning fog, the day turned out to be a beautful, but chilly, post-Thanksgiving day.

Last night I drew the tidal chart (below) on my right hand so that I could remember. High tide today is 2:39 and the sun sets around 4:30. I fished from noon to sunset -- so incoming and outgoing.


I strung up my 9-foot, 6-weight with one of Leyland Miyawaki's poppers. To be honest, I've never caught a fish on one of his famous poppers, but I have used it successfully as a search pattern.  In other words, it has helped me to find fish but never to catch one.

Out at Purdy, there was already 5-6 flyfishers -- part of what looked like a group. They were friendly but didn't seem to be hooking up.

Fifteen minutes after my first cast, I noticed a small swirl just behind my popper, which I worked just about like a top-water lure for bass. I stopped for a split second and then resumed. Slam! Fish on.  It was just about 30 feet from me and so I saw the take pretty well.  I stipped him in and used the net to keep the fish in the water. This fish was about 13 inches, relatively small but an enthusiastic fighter.

I believe this was my first resident Coho and it was defintely my first saltwater fish on a popper. Sorry the photos (below) aren't better.

A few minutes later I had another, bigger swirl, but no cigar.

Meanwhile, dark old Chum were splashing and jumping all around. I tried a few times but they are not very interested in feeding at this stage of their lives.

I had several more takes during the day on a beach fly and a scud of some sort. But alas, my first would be my last.

Later this week I plan to fish with my dad in Oklahoma. The weather looks pretty good.






No comments:

Post a Comment