Saturday, October 29, 2011

Parr for the course

In golf a par is good. In flyfishing, a parr is not as rewarding. Nimrod these days is mostly catching parrs, a  young stage of life for trout and salmon. After hours of fishing without a bite on the South Fork at exit 45, I switched to the Middle Fork in Tanner around exit 32.

As the sun was sinking around 6 pm, I cast into a long dark pool along the eastern bank. A little rainbow parr took my nymph and I brought it in for closer inspection. I was happy to avoid the shutout, but disappointed I didn't have a decent fish to show for the day's effort.

Tonight I looked at USGS to see why the flow seemed so high tonight. The water was murky with river silt. It appears the river flows have risen, fallen and are back on the rise over the past week. Temperatures on this fine fall day rose to near 60. I saw a good bit of insect activity this afternoon.

With some experience now under my belt, there are some things I'm realizing:
  •  I need either to hire a guide or fish with someone experienced. I may not imprpove without some help.
  •  I need to get some wet flies. My nymphs and dry flies are getting me only so far.
  •  I need to get better at reading water for trout lies, and I need to understand better how to cast into those lies.
  •  I want to get another rod to learn steelheading and beach fishing.
This is a wonderful sport with much to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment