Saturday, October 22, 2011

Spectator Sport

This afternoon Nimrod trapsed along a precarious south bank of the South Fork of the Snoqualmie attempting to get to an inviting pool I noticed from the bridge off Exit 38 at Grouse Ridge. After casting into the runs and eddies upstream from the pool, I decided to move back downstream to swing my nymph from the headwaters down to the bottom of the pool. About that time a gentleman stopped his car on the bridge above me and to my left. Suddenly I had a spectator!

I cast a couple of times short and then stipped out about 45 feet of line for a longer cast that might reach the bottom of the pool. The nymph, which looked a little like this one, sunk and drifted. As I began to bring in the line I felt that wonderful little tap of a trout. My rod tip shuddered and I carefully raised it. For the first time Nimrod felt the confidence to really play the fish. With a spectator looking on, I slowly worked the trout toward me and allowed the fish to stay in the water as I walked a few yards to retrieve my camera.

As I brought the fish to shore the gentleman on the bridge offered a nice round of applause.



I was certain I would catch a couple of trout today but this was it. Not only am I terrible at fish photography (see above and all over my website), but I am also terrible at identifying the fish. I believe this is a rainbow. Any help on the id would be appreciated.

Looking ahead, I will work my way further East on I-90. I also plan to buy a rod or two for the Puget Sound beaches. I really need to get into some bigger fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment