Saturday, January 28, 2012

3 beaches

I wasn't skunked today. I was sculpined. Eight hours of fishing Puget Sound and all I got was a good sized sculpin, a prehistoric looking bottom feeder. Back home this is the equivalent of a small catfish.




Disappointing since I was fishing for coastal cutthroat and resident coho. Other than the sculpin, I saw no fish today despite studying the weather, tides and locations all week. Just when I think I am becoming a better fly fisherman, I am brought back to earth. The Washington Fly Fishing Forum had a post about a guy who caught several nice coastal cutthroat the day before on Hood Canal. Oh well.

I got up early to make high tide around sunrise at Purdy Spit, location of my first searun cutt. It's about an hour from the house. But unlike New Year's Day, there were no fish swirls and no fish jumping. It was eerily quiet. I returned later in the day at low tide to find 4 other fly fishers. No one was catching anything.

For most of the day I explored Joemma State BeachPark, Camp Colman and Penrose Point State Park. These are stunningly beautiful sites.  Found a sand dollar for my daughter at Penrose, a Sculpin at Joemma and some disappointing fishing all around. But, hey, my casting got pretty good by the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment