Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Winter Happens

Yesterday, just before noon, I stepped from the freezing cold into the warmth of Creekside Angling in Issaquah on my way up to the mountains.

"Nice day for fishing," I told the big guy behind the counter. I was the only customer. Seems most fishermen are watching sports in the comfort of their living rooms.

He shot a bored look out the window and agreed, kinda. I couldn't really tell.

I stopped by knowing that I'd buy a fly or two (I ended buying 5 plus the latest issue of Northwest fly fishing magazine).  But I mostly stopped hoping for a live fishing report. The fishing reports have been few and far between since the snows hit the lowlands of Seattle. A winter snow storm warning is in effect for the next several days.

I bought a few imitation eggs and some beaded glo thingies. That seemed to be the current wisdom.

Turning off I-90 at Fall City and Carnation, I fished some favoritge holes on the Raging River and the Snoqualmie but got no bites.  I never saw a fish or a rise. There were plenty of gear fishermen this afternoon, but they weren't catching anything either. We all left Fall City about the same time.

I decided to head downstream to the Snoqualmie below the Tolt and below Carnation. I never caught anything (on a pole anyway) but I did have one of those wonderful western fishing experiences that reminds us why we cherish the Cascades.

The snow was clean and white. The river dark and cold. I found a freestone beach and worked the slow moving water and the pools. I was just certain I'd catch a little trout or a steelhead. The air was cold and you could hear far off sounds like they were nearby. Four trumpeter swans blared their horns overhead. Later a red-tailed hawk shouted his greeting as he soared over the river and landed on a nearby tree.

The airshow made it all perfect despite the lack of catching. I've not done this before, but I carried two rods today. One was rigged with nymphs and the other with streamers and stone fly beads.  I set down the 5-weight rigged with a small nymph and worked some slow-movinng water. Just then, a good sized fish (it looked like a carp) floated by injured but still alive. I reached into the water and pulled it out. The fish had two claw marks on its side -- I assumed a hungry raccoon or a perhaps that red tailed hawk had laid into him.

It's winter and we're all eager for a fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment