Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tour of the Snoqualmies

Finally, sweaty waders. While the rest of the country has swealtered, Seattle has enjoyed mild temperatures, but today it got a little clamy in waders and boots as morning temperatures reached into the mid-70s.

I was up at 5:30 and on the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie at Old Reliable early. Water temperatures were in the mid-50s and flows were relatively high, though there were nice pools in my favorite spot. I tied on a March Brown with a dropper and caught 4 nice little cutthroat trout in just over an hour. One was about 10 inches and the others closer to 8. As I've said before, fish on this river are notoriously small, but setting is lovely.

I decided to change locations and drove to the North Fork. I found a nice shallow area with a pebbly bottom and cast out into the current. I caught a nice 12" cutt that got loose at my feet. He hit hard and actually jumped out of the water.

I walked further downstream and crossed several shallow islands to get out into an area with numerous runs spilling into deep pools. Using the same tandem I felt a hard strike and, again, the fish jumped elegantly. I later found that he went for the March Brown but I foul-hooked him on the side with the nymph. The hook was not deep and he came free easily. I did take a quick photo (see below). Also, below that is a photo of the location on the North Fork (Mt. Si is in the background).

I had hoped to hit all the Snoqualmies today but missed the South Fork and the Main. Next time.

Flow on the Middle Fork was about 1800 cfs and just under 500 cfs on the North Fork.


No comments:

Post a Comment