Friday, June 1, 2012

Big Four

I am in eastern Washington today for Opening Day of the Walla Walla Sweets. Ever since the beginning of this venture, I've been curious about fishing in the area. Afterall, Walla Walla is a tribal word for waters.

I rose early and drove East of Walla Walla, past Dayton and into the Wooten Wildlife Area (which is also known as Wooten Game Park and Wooten Camp).  From Walla Walla through Dayton and out to Idaho is an ocean of beautiful rolling, agricultural hills.  There is no cell phone coverage once you leave Dayton.

Today is June 1, and tomorrow is the first Saturday of June which is when the rivers open for fishing. Even though I followed the trout and steelhead-rich Tucannon River for miles, it was off limits until tomorrow.

Instead, I decided to fish a flyfishing-only pond called Big Four Lake, which is located within the boundary of Wooten, and is also just inside the Umatilla National Forest. I had read an excellent primer on flyfishing in this region, and it had recommended this lake, which was perfect for today. Tomorrow, when rivers are open, I hope to fish one or more of the following before returning home: Walla Walla River, Touchet River, Mill Creek and/or the Tucannon.


The wildlife area is quite remote so make sure you have gas, water and food.  There is a grocery called Last Resort that opens around 9 am. It's friendly and has both fishing gear and groceries. There is a KOA campground there as well.

Once you are deep into the wildlife area you will start to notice campgrounds and some small ponds (they are called lakes).  Parking for Big Four is on the left side down in a ravine so you have to look carefully. Once you park, proceed through the woods to the Tucannon.  You must ford this stream (photo below) to find the lake on the other side. Had it been just a little higher and swifter I would not have attempted it. But I also saw some pretty old guys crossing the stream.


The lake is picturesque, and the fish were rising. It started off a little drizzly but the clouds cleared and it reached the mid-80s.  I immediately got into some small rainbows but they increased in size and strength of strike throughout the day.  It did slow down between 10 and noon but then picked back up until 2 pm when I left.


I fished a Foamulator (like a Stimulator) as a strike indicator. I trailed that with a Hares Ear, which worked well.  When things slowed I switched to an Elk Hair Caddis trailed by a beaded Prince Nymph.  Both were really fun.  I could see the larger trout find the indicator and either strike it or follow the nymph.  I really learned to sight fish for the first time.

Average size was 12-13 inches. I had one that was close to 20-inches.




This one (above) was 18-19-inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment