Friday, June 29, 2012

Woods Hole

My brother-in-law and I got up early this morning and hit the Cape Cod waters just off Woods Hole, Mass. Rob has fished Vineyard Sound and beyond since he was a kid, and has done some guiding here over the years.

Within minutes he put me over a school of feeding Bluefish. The sea birds were diving all around us so we knew there was bait in the area. I used my 8-wt Sage with a yellowish deceiver fly and about 16 lb leader and tippet. After a couple of casts I saw a fish rise to the surface. By the next cast I had my first Bluefish on a fly (see below). This blue was on the smaller end of the spectrum, but put up a nice fight.  The next one I played on the reel and the third snapped off the leader just at the boat.

After that we fished in the hole and in the surrounding islands but didn't find any stripers. The wind picked up to about 20 knots and we called it a day.  I felt fortunate to be on the water early on a Friday morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment