Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day Trout

A month ago I wrote about a rainbow I caught on Mother's Day on the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie. Today I caught a Father's Day rainbow on Lake Bennington in Walla Walla with my son.

After his baseball tournament in the Tri-Cities, we drove to Walla Walla to watch our Sweets play a 5 pm game against the Portland Lobos. At the end of the game we played catch, and then I drove to Mill Creek to cast the flyrod at sundown. Mill Creek was closed to fishing so we drove the 1.5 miles to nearby Lake Bennington.

I could see trout jumping and dimpling the surface.  After a few casts I noticed a moderate-sized rainbow swirling to my right. I cast the Hare's Ear a few times in the general direction and surprised my son with a quick catch.

"There it is," I said as I pulled him from the blue-grey water just after sunset.

Ryan snapped the photo below as I was casting.

No comments:

Post a Comment